Dear fellow gym-goer,
Actually, this letter isn't really for all of you. Just the guys who feel so comfortable using the locker room to change and shower after a workout. Okay? The rest of you can go back to your usual routine. Thanks for reading though.
So, back to those of you still here. I am very glad that you have found the confidence to use the shower facilities. I am glad that you are getting your money's worth from the gym. But I do have some requests. I'd really appreciate it if you would just fulfill them. So here goes:
- It's a tight space. Especially in the big city gyms. So, try not to take up so much room while you are changing into your workout gear. It's common courtesy to move over a little if other folks are next to you. BTW, we paid our dues too.
- When you think about it, you're in a changing room. Change and hit the gym. It's what you came here for. Not to text endlessly. Or blather to the person on the other side of the phone about how you just got to the gym, and you plan on being there for a bit, because this is a heavy day, blah blah blah...
- Listen. I love a good workout just like the next guy. And I like taking a hot shower after. But just one thing: when you take your sweaty clothes and sneakers off, put them in a neat pile away from us. Like under the bench. Or in your locker. This isn't your home, so don't just leave them everywhere. They get in the way of the rest of us. And I really don't feel like moving your sweaty jockstrap over. With any part of my body.
- Ahhhhhh. Nothing like a good relaxing hot shower after a workout. Take your time. Don't rush. You earned it. Cool down. Have a seat on the bench after. But put a towel down. I really don't want to hear your bare ass hitting that bench. Or see your dried butt imprint. I would also appreciate it if you could wipe down that bench. Some of us would like to sit down eventually.
- Finally, and this is a very tiny thing: put your used towels in the dirty towel bin. Again. I'm not opposed to sharing some man-sweat. Depends on the circumstance. But I really don't want to touch your wet used towel.
- Oh sorry, just one more thing. Close your locker when you are done. I hate hitting my head on an open locker door. Don't you?
Okay. Sounds like a lot. But really, it isn't. And trust me. All your fellow gymrats would be very appreciative of your efforts. Thanks.